At the end of June 1944 "Continental Central Enclosure No19" was created within the communes of Fourcarville and Ravenoville under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Kennedy.
The camp was originally designed to house 20,000 but was enlarged to house 40,000 including 218 Generals and 6 Admirals.
The camp was built by American troops labouring alongside 400 German prisoners.
The camp amounted to a full blown town, complete with electric lighting, roads, pavements, several kilometres of narrow-gauge railway with petrol and diesel driven locomotives and 75 wagons. There was also a 1000 bed hospital, a church, sanitary facilities, water from a diverted stream and 5 ovens capable of producing 20,000kg of bread.
For entertainment the camp also contained a cinema, a 400 seat theatre with ballroom for American soldiers and another 850 seat theatre for German soldiers, a symphony orchestra and a stadium.
Due to the amazing facilities at the camp no German prisoners of war attempted to escape. The camp was dismantled at the end of 1947, the prisoners having been transferred to the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
Found an error with this listing or know something we don't? report it here!
A monument in memory of the 439th Troop Carrier, 91st Squadron and the paratroopers of the 101st Airborne 506th parachute Infantry Regiment, E Company who lost their lives when the C-47 they were travelling in was hit by German Flak.Read more
A monument to General Leclerc’s 2nd Armored Division of the Free French Army who landed on this stretch of Utah beach on the 1st August 1944 Next to the monument is a Sherman tank and a long the beach many of the original bunkers and fortificationsRead more
Azeville battery is a German coastal battery located 10km from Utah Beach near the village of Azeville. It contained 4 105mm guns housed in bunkers and had an impressive underground complex.Read more