La Cambe was originally the site of an American battlefield cemetery where American and German personnel were buried in two adjacent fields. After the war most of the American remains were transferred back to the United States and the remainder were reinterred at the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial.
The site then became an official German cemetery under the German War Graves Commission (Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge) and the remains of 12,000 German soldiers were moved there from 1400 locations throughout the Calvados and Orne departments. Today the remains of more than 21,000 are buried in the cemetery.
There is a small information centre on site in the memory of those who lost their lives during Operation Overlord. The information centre has access to a database to locate the graves of known military personnel in the cemetery.
The cemetery is open daily from 8:00 - 7:00
The Information Centre is open daily from 8:00 - 12:00 and 13:00 - 19:00
Found an error with this listing or know something we don't? report it here!
Maisy Battery was a group of artillery batteries constructed by the Wehrmacht near Grandcamp-Maisy and formed part of the Atlantic Wall defences in Normandy. The site was also the regional headquarters for the sector and contained the safe for the German payroll with $4.2 million dollars worth of French Franc being found in a safe when captured.Read more
<p>A memorial to the speech Charles de Gaulle gave to the people of Grande Camp on the 14th June 1944.</p>Read more
A memorial to the 1,2,3,4,5,6 US Rangers who fought at Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc on the 6th,7th and 8th JuneRead more