Marigny German War Cemetery contains 11,172 graves. Most were buried here after the Second World War when they were moved from field graves and small cemeteries.
Many of the soldiers buried in Marigny Cemetery belonged to the Panzer-Lehr Division who were almost entirely wiped out during the battle of Saint-Lo on the 25th July 1944 when the Allies launched a massive bombardment to break the German lines between Saint-Lo and Périers. The bombardment consisted of an air raid with over 1500 bombers followed by an artillery bombardment from over 1000 artillery pieces of different calibres. After the bombardment the 1st U.S. Infantry Division attacked the Lehr Panzers with support from 238 Sherman tanks from the 2nd and 3rd U.S. Armoured Division.
Found an error with this listing or know something we don't? report it here!
A memorial to the 101st Airborne Division in Carentan located next to the city hall.Read more
The Bailey Bridge over the River Taute was built by the 300th Combat Engineer Battalion in June 1944 to replace the original bridge which was destroyed by the retreating Germans.Read more