The Kieffer Monument is in tribute to the commandos who landed on June 6th 1944 and was opened on June 6th 1984 by Francois Mitterrand the French President and Andre LEDTAN Mayor of Ouistreham.
The memorial "La Flamme" is large metal flame housed on top of a German bunker. The pathway leading to the memorial is lined with stones with the names of the French commando's who were killed on June 6th, 1944.
There is also a statue of Brigadier Lord Lovat who ordered his personal piper Bill Millin to play Highland Laddie as he led British Commandos ashore on D-Day as portrayed in the film The Longest Day.
A plaque on the "La Flamme" reads:
In tribute to commandos unloaded June 6, 1944
Opened June 6th 1984 by Francois Mitterrand,
President of the French Republic
and Andre LEDTAN Mayor of Ouistreham.
This Memorial is the work of Yvonne GUEGAN
and realized by the company TAILLEFER
Publicly accessible all year.
Found an error with this listing or know something we don't? report it here!
Musée du Commando No4 is a compact museum in tribute to the 177 members of the Free French commandos who under command of Commandant Kieffer landed on Sword Beach on the 6th June 1944 and captured the Casino strong point.Read more
This Flak Tower formed part of the Widerstandsnest 10 defences which surrounded the old fortified Casino at Ouistreham.Read more
A memorial for the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings located on Sword Beach.Read more
The Atlantic Wall Museum is located in a 52 foot tall concrete tower in Ouistreham which served as a flak tower to protect the harbour and fire control for the for the batteries protecting the Orne estuary.Read more