R.A.C. USER OFFICER'S SUMMARY
- On only two occasions have the Crocodiles failed to get our Infantry in and either rout, kill or force the surrender of the
Germans no matter whether S.S. or normal troops.
Of those, "Chateau le Landel" was badly planned and executed in the early days. The other, East of Tilly was a "mess-up" and no-one
came with Crocodiles.
- They always operate with those divisions which are leading the army attack and therefore have not yet the intimate co-operative
which comes from fighting regularly with the same Infantry, tanks and gunner.
- The retention of the 75 mm. gun (or better) is essential versus the Germans.
- Their use by the Canadian 3rd Division was unusual and unorthodox. The weak morale of the enemy in the channel ports proved
this to be justified. The more normal employment by the 2nd Army at the end of October gets full use of the flame.
- There is still a tendency to "give a few" to each Division and this prevents the employment of whole Squadrons, or even the
Regiment on worth-while objectives with full support of other arms. Two Squadrons of Crocodiles flaming at once on a relatively
narrow front would strike terror in anyone's heart.
- There is no real connections between Crocodiles on the one hand and "flails" or "A.V.R.E's" on the other. Crocodiles can
be used almost endlessly and always with Infantry. The other two are only required on special occasions.
- Technical troubles have been decreased by recent modifications and will improve even more. Spares are the main difficulty.
- The trailer has been "holed" on occasion, and has also suffered from mortar bombs, but on the whole it has been rarely hit,
and no extra armour appears vitally necessary in the light of experience to date versus the Germans in N.W. Europe.
- The link has been excellent.
- The Quick-Release gear has rarely had to be used. If the tank has been properly hit by the 88 mm., 75 mm. or Bazooka fire it has
"brewed-up" so quickly that the trailer could not be released. Only recollect two cases of a trailer going on fire and being released.
Would not be without Quick-Release Gear, nevertheless.